Tuesday, October 12, 2010

All together now!

I just saw the Yellow Submarine for the first time yesterday, in a theater I'd walked past many times without ever noticing, so I was in a great mood even though I had to get up a little bit early to make it to high school 56 on time.


Unfortunately, Veronica, the teacher I was supposed to meet first period, had called in sick today. But I hung out with the adscriptor (secretary-type guy) and the director and librarian, both from Salto, until it was time for the next class.


It made them nervous at first to have their pictures taken. I don't even think about it anymore, but when I was their age, I would have been wary, too. I didn't even like Spanish then, either, which is something I usually tell students, since I can sympathize with them perhaps not liking English so much. But look how friendly we all are! And so it shall be with English as with the pictures--they'll come around.


The school is small, so the kids all know each other and like to wave to their friends from the upper galleries. And the cantina has some really good ham and cheese croissants, one of my favorite snacks from when I was in school.


This is out in the patio, shortly before I explained the Cold War and dominated the little tykes at ping pong. Stephen and Gimena, the two teachers I worked with today, are also students I know from the IPA. They'll tell you it's the truth if you don't believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment