Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Paulo Freire's long-lost granddaughter


(Not pictured--Noelia was taking the photo for us.) But she has the same name and the same style of teaching, so it must be true. Her class this morning in liceo 23 was a model of openness and respect, and would have done her long-lost grandpa proud. The students actually asked me to stay an extra hour, which I was planning to do anyway, but it was nice they wanted me there. And many of them got up the courage to introduce themselves, so I didn't have to talk the whole time. There are even some whose favorite music is not cumbia!

Update:

Here's another of Noelia's groups, this time in 4th at liceo 9. They were shy today, but according to her they usually are very talkative. I couldn't help showing off a picture of the chivito I had for lunch, as cliche as it was, but only after we talked about more important things like our families, where we live, and the possibility of traveling with an exchange program or grant. It was the last class of the day, so I was afraid everyone would get hungry, but I am hopeful that one day we can all achieve vegetarianism, if we really try. Until then, it is great to be a carnivore in the Republica Oriental.



After a bike ride on the rambla or a sort of bittersweet last day at the IPA, nothing hits the spot like Chivitos Marcos and a visit to the high schools.

1 comment:

  1. It's not just her teaching style. Noelia as a person is unique in openess and respect, a beautiful person!

    ReplyDelete